Mother’s Day Google Logo Celebrates The Superhero In Every Mom

Google 2014 Mother's Day logo

Today’s Google logo celebrates Mother’s Day with a colorful illustration of a caped Superhero mom, cycling along with her two children.

This year marks the 100th anniversary of Mother’s Day being a national  holiday in the US. While it is celebrated around the world, Woodrow Wilson made Mother’s Day an official US holiday in 1914 after Anna Jarvis campaigned for a number of years to create a day recognizing mothers.

Jarvis would later regret the commercialization of the holiday, and spend much of her life fighting to reverse her efforts.

According to the National Retail Federation, nearly $20 billion will be spent on Mother’s Day gifts this year, with more than 81 percent of moms in the US receiving a Hallmark card. The remaining 19 percent of us will most likely receive homemade cards, crafted with the help of preschool teachers and grade school teachers with lots of glitter and smudged hand prints.

As regular recipient of the handmade, glitter-filled cards, I can attest they are appreciated just as much, if not more, than the store-bought ones. Also, as a mom, I can say it doesn’t hurt when my spouse remembers to make me one of the 66 percent of US moms who will receive flowers. Either way, as long as I get a few hours to myself to sip a chai latte while browsing the shelves of my local indie-owned bookstore, I’ll chalk it up as another perfect Mother’s Day.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms everywhere. Here’s hoping you get to celebrate however you wish, even if it’s on a bike wearing a cape.